Thursday, December 2, 2010

Suicide in African Americans

One of the group projects the stuck out to me was the presentation about suicide in African Americans. For years it has been a common misconception that African Americans do not commit suicide due to their pride. Recent studies however have shown that this belief is untrue. Over the last couple decades there have been higher and higher instances in which adolescents between the ages of thirteen and twenty are feeling the pressures of life. One of the main pressures happens in high school and college aged teens in the form of bullying. In some cases bullying has become so severe that these teens see no other way out of their situation then death. This is really interesting to me because the concept of suicide has been so controversial within my own mind let alone the public opinion. I thought it was brave of this group to take on this subject and apply to us as African Americans. The way they presented was spectacular in my opinion and they made it very clear what their research method was and their question. I’m not exactly sure how it applied to the class but it was still a great presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment